When Matt and I were dating, we considered ourselves “cultured daters.” Cultured daters defined: two people who do other things besides watching TV and/or movies every night of their lives. We went to plays, operas (after La Boheme Matt dumped me and has been repenting ever since), museum exhibits, that one big mine off I-15 in Utah, concerts, we hiked around Provo, we flew kites, and we were generally what we considered to be a cool couple. We didn’t rely on a TV then, so when we got married and were TV-less, we didn’t mind.
I have incurred a lot of flack from not having a TV. Friends and students of mine alike think that we were completely crazy for not having a TV. “What do you do all day long?” This gave me the opportunity to really tell them what I did do all day long, but that never satisfied them.
That era has ended. We bought a TV. It’s big-ish, flat screen, has an immediate picture when you turn it on, is high definition (I really didn’t know that TV could look like that!), and it gets channels. It makes watching my dance shows completely awesome and I can do it without going to the gym (which is also awesome in my recent post-partum state).
Getting a TV can only mean bad things, though. Last week I watch a little of Oprah when she was doing some American heroes show and I bawled! This morning I watched about 15 minutes of Oprah and bawled again when Mary J. Blige and Andrea Bocelli did a Christmas duet (by the way, did you know he’s blind??? I had no idea!). Perhaps my hormones need to normalize before I become a TV watcher!
A big welcome to our very newEST addition, Tina TV:
3 comments:
I'm still in the second to last phase, but it's going well for me so I'll stick to it. I cried today while driving to school at the ONstar commercial on the radio. Seriously. It's not just having a baby that makes girls NUTS! :)
I did not have TV channels for 5-6 years until we moved to Chicago, where we wastefully got cable. We still only watch about 1 hour a week - at the very most. Something tells me I am going to get more TV time when I am unemployed for 3 months with a baby at home. This could be hot.
OK, be careful - I never watched TV til I had Emmy! I definitely discovered a few fun shows and watched my fair share of the Food Network while nursing. It was a fun time. Now I'm too busy again, so just enjoy it. Give in to the TV for awhile :)
Post a Comment